Looks like I’m done with the turbo manifolds. Now I just need to bead blast it and coat it with high-temp paint.
- Category Archives 91 Camaro
Well I noticed my engine wasnt as far back as it should have been. After fixing that, my passenger side manifold hit the k-member. So its time to modify the manifold. I ended up picking up some 2.5″ exhaust tubing then cutting and grinding it to fit the notch I made in the manifold. Its not done yet and needs more grinding and molding before the final weld. As you can see, it fits well and should work perfectly.
Very productive day off. I installed the LQ4 and a gutted TH400 that way I can tighten the LS adapter plates and also the BMR TH400 3rd Gen Camaro crossmember. After installing the engine I went to bolt the crossmember in. No dice. Cant get the engine/trans far back enough to bolt it on. The original crossmember is maybe 1/4″ off if even that much, so I’m going to add some steel plate to it and bolt the transmission to it. The JBA shorty headers I modified, well the drivers side hits the steering shaft. I could modify it but it would take some time and I dont think I’m really gaining much HP over the stock modified manifolds. Even though I’m going to use the stock modified truck manifolds, the drivers side didnt have enough clearance as it was close to the steering knuckle, so I had to shorten and re-weld the v-band flange to it. After I modify the crossmember, I’ll put a pic up. On to progress pics..
Engine and trans going in all at once. In this pic I’m holding the trans up to install the crossmember.
The gap between the Dirty Dingo EZ LS Conversion mounts and the Moroso solid motor mounts will need to be fixed. I’m going to pick up some steel round tubing or have a friend of mine cut some for me. Until I get that round steel tubing cut, I have vise grips holding the bolt from sliding.
Truck manifold with v-band flange added. I basically did this before I had the engine in, otherwise it wouldnt have been an issue and I would have known to cut it shorter. As it looks in the pic, way too close to the steering shaft knuckle. Will not have room for the v-band clamp.
Full shot of engine in with both manifolds.
Picked up a Hobart Handler 210MVP welder and decided to put my welding lessons to use. My truck manifolds had 2 cracks in them and a hole that I accidentally created when cleaning up bosses. So I welded up the hole, blended it in and then fixed the 2 cracks. I’ll blend those in also and add v-bands to them. Then I picked up a set of JBA shorty headers, cut off the flanges and welded some v-band flanges on them. Most likely I’ll use the JBA headers but I figured I’d modify both just for the heck of it. In a few weeks I’ll start on turbo placement in the Camaro and fabbing up the piping. Plenty of pics to come!
This is the truck manifold welded and blended. The second pic on the right is the headers (need to add more weld and blend it that way it looks better), then the finished truck manifolds with v-bands.
Instead of paying someone to fab up my turbo kit, I decided to go to a quick class to teach me the basics of welding. Starting with safety first, then torch. Up next is plasma cutting, then arc welding, and finally MIG welding. A friend of mine bought a new welder and let me borrow his Century 225 MIG welder, then I picked up a fairly heavy table that I will use to weld on.
So here are some pics of my Camaro in various paint stages, then after, me using a torch and finally my welding area. My welding area seems kinda small, then again, it’ll do for now. The pics of my Camaro which are not on the trailer, but painted..its dusty. The only clean pic is of it on the trailer.
The color of my Camaro is called “Cosmic Silver”. After a few weeks, I should have some pics of the turbo kit I’m fixing to fab up.
My rebuild of the LQ4 engine out of a 2005 Chevy HD pickup is complete. I opted for just a stock rebuild and added a TU2 Cam from Speed Inc. Yea..I could have done the 4340 crank, rods with forged dished pistons but I didnt. This is just the first incarnation of this engine. Next one will have the “good stuff” in it. I ended up painting the block and valve covers..came out pretty good. Shootin’ for 9’s in the 1/4.
In addition to this, I picked up a 4″ Fiberglass Cowl bolt on hood from Liberty Fiberglass and saved a few bucks over buying a Harwood hood, also added a new chin spoiler which was almost as expensive as the hood. The hood itself is a good piece for $285. I used to have another Camaro, an ’85, which had a Harwood hood. I dont see any difference in quality between these two, other than this one is cheaper.
Now she’s off to the body shop for a paint job. 🙂
I go thru “alot” of cars. By alot I mean I dunno, I put ’em together, I like it, get tired of it and sell it…then the cycle restarts and I get something else. This will probably be the last one for a while..until I get tired of it. One thing for sure, I’m going to run the shit out of it at the track! LOL!
Here’s the next project..needed to replace a few parts since they wouldnt work on the street and/or were just crap parts. Doors had lexan along with the windshield, hood was junk. Bought some doors off of a Camaro with manual windows and had a new windshield installed and also replaced the rear bumper cover.
Specs on the Camaro:
4 link Back halfed
Ford 9″ with 35 Spline Moser Axles, 4.30 gears
12 point certified cage to 8.50 that is current
Halon fire system
Pro Bandit pistol grip shifter with shiftnoid
I also picked up a 6.0L LQ4 engine out of a 2004 Chevy 2500 pickup truck and a TU2 Cam from Speed Inc. I’m having the engine rebuilt at Kendrick Automotive. In addition to this, I also picked up a Borg Warner s475 turbo.
Here’s a few under construction pics..